Indulge in the mouthwatering delight of Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala Recipe! This classic Italian-American dish combines tender chicken, earthy mushrooms, and a rich Marsala wine sauce, creating a perfect harmony of flavors. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or craving a comforting homemade meal, this recipe is sure to impress. Let’s get cooking!
- 0.1 Origins and Inspiration
- 0.2 Ingredients and Seasoning
- 0.3 Sautéing the Chicken
- 0.4 Creating the Marsala Sauce
- 0.5 Sautéed Mushrooms: Enhancing Flavors
- 0.6 Simmering in Flavor
- 0.7 Serving Suggestions
- 0.8 Adaptations and Dietary Variations
- 1 Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 2 Nutrition
Origins and Inspiration
Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala draws its origins from the charming landscapes of western Sicily, where the luscious Marsala wine has been produced for centuries. This fortified wine, known for its distinctive sweet and nutty flavor, served as the muse behind this classic Italian-American dish. With its roots deeply intertwined with Sicilian culinary traditions, Chicken Marsala brings a taste of Italy’s warm embrace to dining tables around the world.
Ingredients and Seasoning
To recreate the magic of Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala, gather the following ingredients: 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup Marsala wine, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and fresh parsley for garnish. The key to a flavorful outcome lies in seasoning the chicken breasts generously with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano before moving on to the next step.
Sautéing the Chicken
Achieving the perfect texture and flavor of the chicken is crucial in Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala. Begin by pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness of around 1/4 inch using a meat mallet. Dredge the chicken in all-purpose flour, shaking off any excess. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken for 4 minutes on each side until it acquires a gorgeous golden-brown color and a crispy exterior.
Creating the Marsala Sauce
The heart of this dish lies in the creation of the Marsala wine sauce. In the same skillet used for sautéing the chicken, add the remaining butter and sliced mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms until they turn tender and develop a lovely caramelized hue. Pour in the Marsala wine and chicken broth, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the skillet to release the flavorful browned bits. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until it reduces slightly, and then stir in the heavy cream to achieve a rich, velvety consistency.
Sautéed Mushrooms: Enhancing Flavors
The sautéed mushrooms are an essential component of Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala, providing a delightful earthy flavor that complements the richness of the sauce. As the mushrooms cook in butter, they release their aromatic juices, which, combined with the Marsala wine, elevate the dish to new heights.
Simmering in Flavor
The final step involves bringing all the elements together in a harmonious simmer. Return the cooked chicken to the skillet, allowing it to absorb the flavors of the Marsala wine sauce. The chicken marinates in the sauce for a few minutes, intensifying its taste and ensuring that every bite is a burst of delectable flavors.
Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala pairs exceptionally well with an array of side dishes. Serve it alongside buttered fettuccine noodles, creamy mashed potatoes, or a simple green salad to create a balanced and satisfying meal that is sure to delight your guests or loved ones.
Adaptations and Dietary Variations
For those seeking dietary adaptations, you can opt for boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, which add a more succulent touch. Moreover, individuals with gluten sensitivities can substitute gluten-free flour without compromising the taste and quality of the dish.
Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala Recipe
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
Fresh parsley for garnish
- Begin by pounding the chicken breasts to an even thickness, around 1/4 inch, using a meat mallet. Season them with salt, black pepper, and dried oregano
- Dredge the chicken breasts in flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining butter and sliced mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
- Pour in the Marsala wine and chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the skillet to deglaze and incorporate all the flavorful bits.
- Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes until it reduces slightly. Stir in the heavy cream, bringing the sauce to a creamy consistency.
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet, allowing it to simmer in the sauce for another 5 minutes to absorb the flavors.
How to Prepare:
To prepare Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala, follow these simple steps:
- Pound and season the chicken breasts.
- Dredge the chicken in flour.
- Sauté the chicken until golden brown.
- Cook the mushrooms in butter.
- Add Marsala wine and chicken broth, then reduce the sauce.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Simmer the chicken in the sauce.
The total preparation time for Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala is approximately 30 minutes.
This recipe serves 4 hungry guests.
- Calories: Around 400-500 kcal
- Total Fat: Approximately 20-25g
- Saturated Fat: Approximately 7-10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: Approximately 100-150mg
- Sodium: Around 500-700mg
- Total Carbohydrates: Approximately 20-25g
- Dietary Fiber: Approximately 1-2g
- Sugars: Approximately 3-4g
- Protein: Approximately 30-35g
Q: Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe?
A: While boneless, skinless chicken breasts are recommended for quicker cooking, bone-in chicken can be used with adjusted cooking times.
Q: What can I serve with Chicken Marsala?
A: It pairs wonderfully with creamy mashed potatoes or buttered fettuccine noodles.
Q: Can I substitute Marsala wine with a different type of wine?
A: Marsala wine’s unique flavor is essential to this dish, but if unavailable, you can use a dry sherry as a substitute.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can prepare the sauce in advance and store it separately. Cook the chicken and reheat it in the sauce just before serving.
Q: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A: Absolutely! Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Barefoot Contessa Chicken Marsala Recipe is an exquisite culinary journey that delights your taste buds with each savory bite. Its simple yet elegant preparation makes it an excellent choice for both weekday dinners and special occasions. Create a warm and inviting atmosphere by serving this delightful dish to your loved ones, and witness the smiles of satisfaction it brings.