Are you craving a mouthwatering Italian dish that bursts with flavor? Look no further than Mario Batali’s Chicken Scarpariello recipe.
This delectable dish combines tender chicken with spicy sausage, tangy lemon, and aromatic herbs. With just a few simple steps, you can create a culinary masterpiece that will impress your friends and family.
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to satisfy your appetite for freedom in the world of cooking.
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 Chicken Scarpariello Recipe Mario Batali
- 3 Ingredients for Chicken Scarpariello
- 4 Steps to Prepare Chicken Scarpariello
- 5 Tips for Cooking Chicken Scarpariello
- 6 Serving Suggestions for Chicken Scarpariello
- 7 Variations of Chicken Scarpariello Recipe
- 8 Nutritional Facts:-
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9.1 Can I Use Boneless Chicken Breasts Instead of Bone-In Chicken Pieces for This Recipe?
- 9.2 How Can I Make This Recipe Spicier?
- 9.3 Can I Substitute White Wine With Another Type of Alcohol or Non-Alcoholic Ingredient?
- 9.4 Can I Make This Recipe in Advance and Reheat It Later?
- 9.5 Is It Necessary to Marinate the Chicken Before Cooking It?
- 10 Conclusion
- Chicken Scarpariello is a dish made with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, sweet Italian sausage, garlic cloves, and cherry peppers.
- The dish is prepared by browning the chicken, adding garlic and red pepper flakes, deglazing with white wine, and simmering the chicken in the sauce.
- Tips for cooking Chicken Scarpariello include seasoning the chicken before cooking, using a cast iron skillet for optimal flavor, searing the chicken until it develops a golden brown crust, and avoiding overcrowding the pan.
- Chicken Scarpariello can be served with creamy polenta or crusty bread, and paired with wines such as Chianti, Sauvignon Blanc, Barbera, or Pinot Grigio. It can also be served with roasted vegetables, garlic mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, or lemon-infused couscous. Variations of the dish include adding hot peppers or red pepper flakes for spiciness, citrus juice for a tangy flavor, herbs like rosemary, thyme, or oregano for a different taste, or creating a vegetarian alternative with mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini.
Chicken Scarpariello Recipe Mario BataliCourse: MainCuisine: Italian-AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Indulge in the flavors of Italy with Mario Batali's Chicken Scarpariello. This classic dish is a masterpiece of sweet and tangy flavors. It's a culinary journey that balances tender chicken, zesty peppers, and the richness of Italian sausage, all simmered to perfection. In this article, we'll guide you through creating this delightful dish in the comfort of your own kitchen.
2 lbs of chicken pieces (legs and thighs)
1 lb of Italian sausage links
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 green bell peppers, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook until they turn golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the Italian sausage links. Cook until they brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté until they become fragrant.
- Pour in the white wine, chicken broth, and vinegar. Stir well.
- Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet. Add the sliced peppers. Simmer for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley over the dish for a burst of color and flavor.
Ingredients for Chicken Scarpariello
To make Chicken Scarpariello, you’ll need specific ingredients that will bring out the delicious flavors of this classic Italian dish.
The cooking techniques used in this recipe require a combination of bold and savory flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
One of the key ingredients is bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, which provide a rich and juicy texture to the dish. You’ll also need sweet Italian sausage, garlic cloves, cherry peppers, and a variety of herbs and spices such as rosemary, thyme, and red pepper flakes. These ingredients work together to create a harmonious blend of flavors that will make your mouth water.
Now that you know the essential ingredients, let’s move on to the steps to prepare Chicken Scarpariello.
Steps to Prepare Chicken Scarpariello
Once you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, the first step in preparing Chicken Scarpariello is to heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. As the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken pieces and brown them on all sides. This will create a beautiful caramelization and enhance the flavor of the dish.
Next, remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside on a plate. In the same skillet, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, allowing them to infuse the oil with their aromatic flavors. After a minute or so, deglaze the skillet with white wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. This step not only adds depth to the sauce but also brings out the natural sweetness of the wine.
Tips for Cooking Chicken Scarpariello
To cook Chicken Scarpariello successfully, you should use a cast iron skillet for optimal browning and flavor. Here are some tips to help you perfect this delicious dish:
- Make sure to season the chicken with salt and pepper before cooking to enhance the flavors.
- Use bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces for extra juiciness and flavor.
- Sear the chicken in the hot skillet until it develops a golden brown crust, which adds depth to the dish.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan; cook the chicken in batches if necessary to ensure even browning.
When it comes to cooking techniques, Chicken Scarpariello benefits from a combination of browning, simmering, and reducing the sauce. This creates a rich and flavorful dish that’s both juicy and tangy. The flavor combinations of the chicken, sausage, peppers, onions, and vinegar make for a harmonious blend of sweet, spicy, and savory notes.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Scarpariello
When serving Chicken Scarpariello, consider pairing it with a side of creamy polenta or crusty bread to complement the robust flavors of the dish. The creamy polenta provides a smooth and velvety texture that balances well with the boldness of the chicken. On the other hand, the crusty bread adds a satisfying crunch and acts as a vessel for soaking up the delicious sauce. To further enhance your dining experience, here are some wine pairings and side dish options to consider:
|Wine Pairings||Side Dish Options|
|Sauvignon Blanc||Garlic mashed potatoes|
|Pinot Grigio||Lemon-infused couscous|
These wine pairings bring out the flavors of the dish while the side dish options provide a variety of textures and flavors to complement the Chicken Scarpariello. Remember to choose the wine that suits your personal preferences and enjoy the freedom of exploring different side dish options to create a well-rounded meal.
Variations of Chicken Scarpariello Recipe
Explore different ways to prepare Chicken Scarpariello with these variations of the recipe. Here are four exciting twists on the classic dish that will surely delight your taste buds:
Spicy Chicken Scarpariello: Add a kick to your meal by incorporating hot peppers or red pepper flakes into the sauce. The heat will elevate the flavors and give your dish an extra zing.
Citrus Chicken Scarpariello: Add a burst of freshness to your meal by squeezing some lemon or orange juice into the sauce. The citrusy notes will brighten up the flavors and add a tangy twist.
Herb-Roasted Chicken Scarpariello: Infuse your dish with aromatic herbs like rosemary, thyme, or oregano. The fragrant herbs will enhance the overall taste and bring out the natural flavors of the chicken.
Vegetarian Alternative for Scarpariello: Swap out the chicken for hearty vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini. The combination of flavors and textures will create a delicious vegetarian version of this classic dish.
- Calories: 390 per serving
- Total Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Sodium: 800mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 7g
- Protein: 30g
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Boneless Chicken Breasts Instead of Bone-In Chicken Pieces for This Recipe?
Yes, you can use boneless chicken breasts instead of bone-in chicken pieces for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if you prefer. Both options will work well in making Chicken Scarpariello.
How Can I Make This Recipe Spicier?
To make this recipe spicier, you can add hot sauce for an extra kick. Another option is to use spicy sausage instead of sweet sausage, which will bring a fiery flavor to the dish.
Can I Substitute White Wine With Another Type of Alcohol or Non-Alcoholic Ingredient?
You can definitely substitute white wine with another type of alcohol or non-alcoholic ingredient. There are plenty of alternative alcohol substitutions like beer, sherry, or even apple cider vinegar. For non-alcoholic alternatives, try using chicken or vegetable broth to maintain the flavor. Get creative and experiment!
Can I Make This Recipe in Advance and Reheat It Later?
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe in advance and reheat it later. Adjust the spice level to your liking and if you don’t have white wine, feel free to substitute with another type of alcohol or non-alcoholic ingredient.
Is It Necessary to Marinate the Chicken Before Cooking It?
Before you decide to marinate the chicken, consider the pros and cons. Marinating can add flavor and tenderness, but it takes time. Alternatively, you can use other methods like brining or pounding to tenderize the chicken. The choice is yours.
In conclusion, this chicken scarpariello recipe by Mario Batali is an absolute game-changer. The combination of tender chicken, tangy vinegar, and spicy peppers creates a flavor explosion in every bite.
With simple steps and handy tips, anyone can master this dish and become a culinary genius.
So go ahead and impress your guests with this mouthwatering variation of chicken scarpariello. Trust me, they won’t be able to get enough!