Do you crave a comforting and soul-satisfying meal that will transport you to your grandmother’s kitchen?
Look no further than Edna Lewis’ famous chicken and dumplings recipe.
This beloved dish, passed down through generations, is a true testament to the power of homemade cooking.
With tender chicken and fluffy dumplings, each bite is a delectable blend of flavors and textures.
Get ready to experience a taste of nostalgia as you embark on a culinary journey with Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings.
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 Edna Lewis Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 3 The History of Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 Ingredients for Edna Lewis’ Recipe
- 5 Step-by-Step Instructions for Cooking the Chicken
- 6 Making the Fluffy Dumplings
- 7 Serving and Enjoying Edna Lewis’ Chicken and Dumplings
- 8 Nutritional Facts:-
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9.1 How Many Servings Does Edna Lewis’ Chicken and Dumplings Recipe Yield?
- 9.2 Can I Use a Different Type of Meat Instead of Chicken for This Recipe?
- 9.3 Are There Any Variations or Substitutions That Can Be Made to the Recipe?
- 9.4 How Long Does It Take to Cook the Chicken Until It Is Tender?
- 9.5 Can the Leftovers Be Stored and Reheated? if So, What Is the Best Way to Reheat Them?
- 10 Conclusion
- Chicken and dumplings have a long history in American cuisine, with roots in European and African traditions.
- The dish originated as a peasant dish, using simple and inexpensive ingredients.
- Chicken and dumplings have evolved with regional variations over time.
- Edna Lewis’ recipe uses specific ingredients to create a rich and flavorful broth, tender chicken, and fluffy dumplings.
Edna Lewis Chicken and Dumplings RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: SouthernDifficulty: Medium
Prepare to experience the heartwarming embrace of Southern cuisine with Edna Lewis Chicken and Dumplings Recipe. This iconic dish is a testament to the rich culinary tradition of the South, known for its ability to comfort the soul with every bite. Edna Lewis, a legendary Southern chef, shared her passion for traditional Southern cooking, and now you can carry her legacy forward by recreating this classic recipe in your own kitchen. Whether you have a deep-rooted love for Southern fare or are new to its charms, this recipe is a warm hug in a bowl, a timeless symbol of comfort. Edna Lewis Chicken and Dumplings encapsulates the very essence of Southern hospitality, and cooking it is like unlocking a piece of culinary history. Join us as we unravel the secrets of this heartwarming delight - tender, savory chicken, and soft, pillowy dumplings swimming in a rich, flavorful broth. It's more than a recipe; it's a journey into the heart of the South, where the warmth of tradition is served in every spoonful.
Whole chicken, cut into parts
Salt and black pepper
- Place the chicken parts in a large pot and cover them with water.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the chicken is tender and the broth is flavorful
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk and mix until you have a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut it into dumpling shapes.
- Drop the dumplings into the simmering chicken broth and let them cook until they're tender and cooked through.
The History of Chicken and Dumplings
To understand the origins of chicken and dumplings, you need to delve into the rich culinary history of this beloved dish. Chicken and dumplings have been a staple in American cuisine for centuries, with roots that can be traced back to European and African traditions.
The dish has evolved over time, adapting to regional variations and personal preferences. In the early days, chicken and dumplings were often considered a peasant dish, using simple and inexpensive ingredients. It was a way to make the most out of limited resources.
Today, there are countless variations of chicken and dumplings, each with its own unique twist. Some recipes call for thick, fluffy dumplings, while others prefer thin and chewy ones.
Regardless of the variations, chicken and dumplings continue to be a comforting and satisfying meal that brings people together.
Ingredients for Edna Lewis’ Recipe
For Edna Lewis’ recipe of chicken and dumplings, you’ll need specific ingredients. To prepare this comforting dish, you’ll need a whole chicken, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, milk, chicken broth, and a few spices like black pepper and thyme.
These ingredients come together to create a rich and flavorful broth, tender chicken, and fluffy dumplings. Edna Lewis’ recipe showcases her mastery of Southern cooking techniques, combining simple ingredients in a way that yields a hearty and delicious meal. While there may be variations and adaptations of this classic dish, Edna Lewis’ recipe stays true to its roots, capturing the essence of traditional chicken and dumplings.
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, let’s move on to the step-by-step instructions for cooking the chicken.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Cooking the Chicken
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, let’s move on to cooking the chicken. Here are the step-by-step instructions to help you prepare a delicious batch of Edna Lewis Chicken and Dumplings:
Start by seasoning the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. This will enhance the flavor as the chicken cooks.
In a large pot, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they’re browned on all sides. This will help to develop a rich, caramelized flavor.
Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the pot and set it aside. This will allow the chicken to rest and retain its juices.
Now that the chicken is cooked, you can move on to the next step in the recipe. These cooking techniques and flavor variations will ensure that your chicken is flavorful and tender.
Making the Fluffy Dumplings
To make the fluffy dumplings, you’ll need to gather the necessary ingredients and follow these simple steps.
Fluffy dumplings are a delightful addition to any chicken and dumplings dish. There are various techniques and variations of dumpling recipes, but the one we’ll focus on here is a classic and foolproof method.
Start by combining flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, stirring until a soft dough forms.
Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the simmering chicken and broth mixture. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through and fluffy.
Now that you have made the fluffy dumplings, let’s move on to the next step of serving and enjoying Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings.
Serving and Enjoying Edna Lewis’ Chicken and Dumplings
Once you have prepared the fluffy dumplings, you can now savor and relish the delectable experience of enjoying Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings. Here are some serving tips and variations to enhance your culinary adventure:
- Serve the chicken and dumplings piping hot in deep bowls, allowing the fragrant aroma to tantalize your senses.
- Garnish each bowl with freshly chopped parsley or a sprinkle of black pepper for added flavor and visual appeal.
- Pair this comforting dish with a side of buttery cornbread or warm biscuits to complete the meal.
- For a lighter version, substitute the chicken with turkey or lean pork, and use low-fat broth to reduce the calorie content.
- Add a splash of hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
- Experiment with different herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary, or paprika to customize the flavors to your liking.
Indulge in the heartwarming combination of tender chicken, fluffy dumplings, and savory broth, and let the soulful flavors of Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings transport you to a place of pure comfort and satisfaction.
- Calories: Approximately 350-400 calories
- Protein: Approximately 20-25 grams
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 30-35 grams
- Fat: Approximately 10-15 grams
- Saturated Fat: Approximately 3-5 grams
- Fiber: Approximately 2-3 grams
- Sugar: Approximately 2-3 grams
- Sodium: Approximately 800-900 milligrams
Frequently Asked Questions
How Many Servings Does Edna Lewis’ Chicken and Dumplings Recipe Yield?
You can make Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings recipe gluten-free. It yields a generous amount of servings. To enhance your meal, consider pairing it with side dishes like creamy mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
Can I Use a Different Type of Meat Instead of Chicken for This Recipe?
Yes, you can use a different type of meat instead of chicken for this recipe. Some alternative meats you can try are turkey, pork, or even beef. Just make sure to adjust the cooking techniques accordingly for the best results.
Are There Any Variations or Substitutions That Can Be Made to the Recipe?
Looking to switch things up with Edna Lewis’ Chicken and Dumplings Recipe? Well, you’re in luck! There are plenty of variations and substitutes to explore, allowing you to put your own twist on this classic dish. Let’s get cooking!
How Long Does It Take to Cook the Chicken Until It Is Tender?
To ensure the chicken is cooked evenly and extra tender, there are a few tips you can follow. First, sear the chicken on both sides before simmering it in a flavorful liquid. This helps to lock in moisture and create a delicious crust. Additionally, consider marinating the chicken for a few hours or overnight to further enhance its tenderness. Finally, be sure to cook the chicken at a low and steady heat, allowing it to slowly break down and become tender.
Can the Leftovers Be Stored and Reheated? if So, What Is the Best Way to Reheat Them?
Yes, the leftovers can be stored and reheated. The best way to store them is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, simply microwave them for a few minutes or heat them on the stove.
In conclusion, Edna Lewis’ chicken and dumplings recipe is a timeless classic that brings comfort and satisfaction to anyone who tastes it.
With its rich history and simple yet flavorful ingredients, this dish truly captures the essence of Southern cuisine.
So gather your loved ones, prepare this delicious meal, and let the warm flavors dance on your taste buds like a symphony of comfort.