Are you craving a hearty, flavorful soup that will transport you to the border? Look no further than this On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.
With tender chicken, zesty spices, and a satisfying crunch of tortilla strips, this soup is a fiesta in a bowl. Get ready to savor the vibrant flavors of the Southwest right in your own kitchen.
So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3 Ingredients You’ll Need
- 4 Preparing the Chicken
- 5 Making the Soup Base
- 6 Adding the Toppings
- 7 Serving and Enjoying
- 8 Nutritional Facts:-
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Conclusion
- The recipe offers a variety of options to suit different dietary preferences, with alternatives like tofu, bell peppers, corn, and black beans for vegetarian or vegan versions of the soup.
- Marinating the chicken or using alternative protein options like shredded cooked turkey or diced tofu adds flavor and tenderness to the soup.
- The soup base is made by sautéing onions, garlic, and jalapenos, then adding diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth, and enhancing the flavor with spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
- The soup can be customized with creative toppings like cilantro, lime juice, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, jalapenos, or hot sauce.
On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: Tex-MexDifficulty: Easy
Warm, hearty, and brimming with flavors, On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup is a comfort food classic that delights the taste buds. This soup is a perfect combination of tender chicken, savory spices, and crispy tortilla strips that will warm your soul. Whether it's a chilly evening or you simply crave a satisfying bowl of goodness, this recipe is a must-try. In this article, we'll guide you through creating this delightful soup in the comfort of your kitchen.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) black beans
1 can (14 oz) corn kernels
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup tortilla strips
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Lime wedges for garnish
- Start by cooking the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can either grill, bake, or pan-sear them until they're cooked through. Once done, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn kernels to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Season the mixture with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to evenly distribute the spices.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the shredded chicken. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- While the soup simmers, prepare your tortilla strips. You can either bake them in the oven or use store-bought ones.
- Once the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls. Top each serving with tortilla strips, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, and a pinch of fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for an extra zing.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup, you’ll need a variety of fresh ingredients. Start with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which will add a delicious protein to the soup.
For flavor, you can choose from a range of options such as cumin, chili powder, and paprika. These flavorful seasoning options will give your soup that authentic Mexican taste.
If you prefer a vegetarian or vegan option, you can substitute the chicken with tofu or a variety of vegetables like bell peppers, corn, and black beans. This will add a burst of color and nutrition to your soup.
Now that you have your ingredients ready, it’s time to move on to preparing the chicken for the soup.
Preparing the Chicken
Now that you have all your fresh ingredients ready, it’s time to move on to preparing the chicken for the On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Start by marinating the chicken to infuse it with flavor and tenderness. You can create a simple marinade using lime juice, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Coat the chicken in the marinade and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to penetrate the meat.
If you’re looking for alternative protein options, consider using shredded cooked turkey or diced tofu as a substitute for the chicken. These alternatives will add a unique twist to your soup while still providing a delicious and satisfying meal.
Making the Soup Base
To create the soup base for On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup, you’ll need to gather the remaining ingredients and begin the cooking process.
Start by heating some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onions, minced garlic, and jalapenos for a spicy kick. Sauté them until they become fragrant and translucent.
Next, add in canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Stir everything together, allowing the flavors to meld. Enhance the flavor with spices and seasonings like cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper to taste.
Let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop fully.
Finally, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth, or leave it chunky if you prefer.
Follow these tips for achieving the perfect consistency: if the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth or water; if it’s too thin, let it simmer longer to reduce and thicken.
Your soup base is now ready to be topped with shredded chicken and garnished with tortilla strips, avocado, and cilantro.
Adding the Toppings
Once the soup base is prepared, you can begin to add the toppings to your On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup. Get ready to unleash your creativity and make your soup truly unique.
Here are some creative topping variations for chicken tortilla soup that will take your dish to the next level:
Freshness overload: Add a generous handful of chopped cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and a dollop of creamy avocado to give your soup a burst of freshness.
Crunchy delight: Sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top of the soup for that satisfying crunch with every bite.
Cheesy goodness: Grate some sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and sprinkle it over the soup. Let it melt and create a delicious cheesy layer.
Spicy heat: If you like it hot, add sliced jalapeños or a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce for an extra kick.
Remember, the importance of presentation in serving chicken tortilla soup is key. Arrange the toppings in an appealing manner to entice your guests and make them want to dig in.
Now that your soup is adorned with delicious toppings, it’s time to move on to the next step – serving and enjoying your flavorful creation.
Serving and Enjoying
After adding the toppings to your On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup, it’s time for you to serve and enjoy this flavorful creation. The soup is now simmering with a perfect blend of spices, tender chicken, and crunchy tortilla strips.
To make your meal even more satisfying, consider these serving suggestions:
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, sliced avocado, and a squeeze of lime to enhance the flavors.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas or tortilla chips on the side for an added crunch.
- For a heartier meal, top the soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced jalapenos.
- If you prefer a vegetarian option, substitute the chicken with black beans or tofu.
- To make it spicier, add a few dashes of hot sauce or sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes.
Whether you’re hosting a gathering or enjoying a cozy night in, these variations and substitutions will make your On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup a crowd-pleaser. So grab a bowl, sit back, and savor every spoonful of this delicious soup.
- Calories: 350 kcal
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 6g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 890mg
- Vitamin D: 0.5mcg
- Calcium: 220mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Potassium: 710mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Alternative Ingredients That Can Be Used in the Recipe?
You can make healthy substitutions and add spicy variations to the recipe. Experiment with different veggies, like peppers or zucchini, and use low-sodium broth for a lighter option. Customize it to your taste!
Can This Soup Be Made in a Slow Cooker?
Why limit yourself to the stove when you can let the slow cooker work its magic? Discover the convenience and depth of flavor that comes from making chicken tortilla soup in a slow cooker.
How Long Does the Soup Stay Fresh in the Refrigerator?
To properly store leftover soup in the refrigerator and maintain freshness, make sure it’s stored in an airtight container. When reheating, use a stove or microwave and stir occasionally to ensure it tastes just as delicious as when it was first made.
Can I Freeze the Soup for Later Use?
Yes, you can freeze the soup for later use. Once frozen, the soup can be reheated whenever you desire. Freezing soup allows you the freedom to enjoy a delicious meal whenever you want.
Is It Possible to Make This Soup Vegetarian or Vegan?
You can definitely make this soup vegetarian or vegan! For a flavorful veggie twist, try using tofu, mushrooms, or jackfruit as substitutes for chicken. To create a delicious vegan version, swap out the dairy and use vegetable broth instead. Enjoy the freedom to customize!
As you savor the warm and flavorful chicken tortilla soup, your taste buds are tantalized by the perfect blend of spices and textures.
The rich soup base, tender chicken, and vibrant toppings create a symphony of flavors that leave you craving for more.
With each spoonful, you’re transported to a culinary paradise, where every bite is an adventure.
This tantalizing soup will surely become a favorite in your recipe collection, leaving you eager to share its delicious secret with your loved ones.